Thursday, September 4, 2008

The 3 R's













We never know what other people have experienced until we put ourselves in each other’s shoes. When this assignment was given to us, I began to read the instructions and the missions we had to complete in order to successfully accomplish the assignment. The first thing I did from the three R’s was riding.
A group of students and I took the Greensboro public bus around town. When I first thought about riding the bus, I thought it would be like riding the Spartan Chariot, little did I know the public bus was completely different. As I got on the bus I felt as if everyone on there was judging me. I felt like the people on their looked at me as if I didn’t belong on the bus, People looked at us as if we were rich girls in a sense, I felt that was because most of the people on the bus looked as if they were of lower class. I got the impression that people thought our group were tourist because we were trying to document as much as we could by taking pictures.
When I got back home from the bus ride, I began the reading on Civility and Civil Rights. I believe that being on the bust first really made me understand the reason why I felt the way I did. I think that even though we are more accepting toward other races, people are always going to judge you on simple things such as the clothing you are wearing on the hand bag you are carrying. I believe that from those observations others make simple judgments that may not be true.
As I was doing the reading, some key moments that stood out the most to me where when it talked about, how parents would want to move their children to a different school because it was closer, but they would be denied that right. It also surprised me when a student with excellent grades was denied the transfer request, and the response that was given was what surprised me over all, they stated that if she was moved she may lose concentration on her grades would begin to fall. On the bus ride some key moments that stood out the most was when I first entered the bus. I remember clearly walking down the aisle trying to get to a seat. Everyone was looking at me up and down judging me. I also remember the way people were staring at us as a group when we were trying to take pictures of building and other things.
From this experience I have learned that we have progressed so much from the time of slavery to now. I think that we have moved forward but there is still more progress ahead of us. As a minority I feel like I can relate more closely to what happen during slavery because in a sense being Hispanic in this country is really hard you’re looked at very differently, especially if you can’t communicate as easily because of the language barrier.

1 comment:

Laura Snoderly said...

Feeling out of place and like people are looking at you on the bus seems to be a common thread among the class. I certainly felt that way as well. It is interesting to see how different people talk about this feeling and how they react to it. I think that your focus on the class aspect of riding the bus is important. As a white person, I am also very interested in how people of other racial backgrounds (that all came from the same UNCG IAR student "group") experienced their bus rides.